Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Choice


The Choice
by: Nicholas Sparks
Too predictable. Too sappy. Not his best effort, in fact, hardly any effort.
Girl neighbor, boy neighbor, they meet, amazing weekend of parasailing (?!), motorcycle riding, so they fall in love. But, she is already "in love" with her boyfriend of many years. What to do, she must make a choice. Barf. Ok, she chooses the neighbor.
Years later, married, 2 kids, they go to a concert 2 1/2 hours away. Raining on the way home, he drives too fast, car crash, she ends up in a coma. Years ago she told him that after 12 weeks if she was ever in a coma, to please "pull the plug". Now, he has a choice to make.
Oh, this bugs me on my many levels. Do you want to know what happens? If yes, read on, I am happy to spoil it for you.
He opts NOT to pull the plug. She goes to a nursing home for care. Nine weeks later, she suddenly wakes up and asks for her husband. They live happily ever after. They never discuss how he didn't pull the plug like she wanted. Whatever.
My take away from this book is: don't drive a total of 5 hours to go to a concert if you have to be back the next morning at 8:00 for work, duh! Don't drive too fast in the rain, duh! Your life is more important than being on time. Oh my. Ok, I learned 3 things. I am happy.

No comments: