Monday, January 5, 2009

Friday Night Knitting Club


The Friday Night Knitting Club
by: Kate Jacobs
I thought my review would have been great.....but sadly, it is a disappointment.
I have learned how to knit in this last year, I heard lots of whisperings about this book, so I got it. The first 50 pages were a bit blah, it took a while for me to find interest in these characters - but then I did and I really enjoyed what I was reading. I also enjoyed the knitting aspects.
The problem came with the end, which was like being slammed into a cement wall that you don't see coming. Why, why would the author do this? It just yanks on your emotions for a thrill for the author. Makes me mad! Then come to find out that there really is a walker and daughter place in Manhattan, there is a web page. Then you wonder, oh, my, do these people really exist?? I am now thinking NO! The author just wanted to write a book with a shocking, movie ending (think steel magnolias). Then make sure there is a website to get more people involved in the fictional life. Really, it would have been much better to have a different ending, to be able to expand the story in subsequent books.
Just so you know: it is about a young girl, finds she is pregnant, the father runs away, she is left to figure it all out. She loves knitting, does projects for people, opens up a shop, things go better. She is a hard working woman. She meets other women in her yarn shop - we get to know all those women. The story continues.....until it yanks your head back.
There is a sequel.
But don't worry. Julia Roberts has bought the rights to this movie, and I believe it is supposed to be out 2010. I don't think I will watch it, or I will, I'll just leave early. I don't enjoy crying at movies.

No comments: