Wednesday, May 27, 2009

AustenLand


Austenland
by: Shannon Hale
Apparently, Shanon Hale is great friends with "Miss Twilight" Stephenie Meyer. So, I thought I would give her a try.
It was fine...here is the premise:
The woman (age 32?) was given a trip in the will of her aunt to Austenland. That is a place in England. People there act as if they are in a Jane Austen novel; Regency period. They dress and act like them. There are people there who are paying for the vacation, and there are actors there to help move the story along. You stay for 3 weeks.
Ok, the thought is interesting; different vacation, BUT the people come here to fall in love, like Jane and Mr. Darcy! I don't get it. Why try to fall in love for pretend? The people you would fall in love with are actors. Makes no sense. The author presented the case that rich people come here to just have an affair for 3 weeks, then go on with their regular life. Really, how gross.
I'm on the fence if I should recommend or not. I would read another one of her books, maybe this was not her best work.

No comments: