Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Young Adult Section!

**I figured out the whole picture thing. I can put up pictures of the books, but it is far more complicated to do than is worth it. So, if you want to see a picture of the book, just google it, and there you go!

Lately, I seem to have been reading quite a few books from the Young Adult section at the library! I have really enjoyed them.

Unwind
by: Neal Shusterman
read in: August 2010 REALLY LIKED 9
Sci/fi. The book takes place way in the future when there is no more abortion, but at 13 yrs old parents can consent to have their child "unwound"! All would be better if the child used its parts on others than be whole…that is the premise. 3 kids run away; story is about their life. Choices, forgiveness, going too far in any direction. I really liked it! YA Fiction



Specials
by: Scott Westerfeld
read: August 2010 ok – 4-5ish
Sci/fi series…The series starts with #1 uglies, #2 pretties then #3 specials. I really liked the 1st two. This one, not so much. I tried to get into it, it never really got good. By the end I was very bothered by the fact that in this “time” families are of no consequence; they don’t exist. YA fiction

In The Name of Honor
by: Richard North Patterson
read: August 2010
I give it a 9 – till the end; then it gets a little creepy
I would recommend it. I liked 9/10ths of it! Just know that the twist at the end was a bit objectionable to me.
Drama, murder, Iraq war, courtroom, family drama. I really liked it, GREAT writing. Man goes to war, comes home, shoots brother in law, court martial. Great lawyer, sister involved. What bugged me: sex meant nothing, just a shake of the hand – that doesn’t really make people happy! The end was creepy where there was quite a twist. I think I would recommend it. Sometimes we read books and are very grateful for our own morals and values. We see the value in having higher standards.

Stolen
by: Lucy Christopher
read: August 2010 9 REALLY LIKED!
Cant’ give it a 10 because the book made me want to want an attraction where I shouldn’t. I wanted the person kidnapped to be with her kidnapper. He seemed so nice and caring, in real life that is NOT how it is, but I did really like the book. Enjoyed how it was written. Girl was kidnapped to Australia from a Bangkok airport. Fascinating story! It is written like a letter to her kidnapper. It's a fast read, so READ IT!!
YA fiction

1 comment:

GBART said...

I can't believe the # of books Julie reads. I can hardly real the list it is so long!

two books a month is a lot for me!!

I just finished "The Last man Standing" Jeff Shaara. Nine
Great WWI story. Very informative.

Bumpa