Sunday, July 1, 2012

Read June 2012

Objects of my affection               
author:  Jill Smolinski             
finished:  June  12     
8 pretty good

She helps clean out an old and famous women’s house. The woman hardly wants her house cleaned; it is her son that wants to work done. The woman is also dealing with a drug addicted son and a boyfriend that she loves but is no longer with. It was good enough.


Unraveling                
author:  Elizabeth Norris                 
finished:  June  12
Young Adult    
9 REALLY LIKED**

World is coming to an end; very sci/fi. Girl starts her junior year in school an she is suddenly hit by a car. She feels that she dies, then suddenly is is alive and she feels that it is all because of the help and healing of the boy! I did like it, but, by  the end of the book, the writer really starts using bad language. That didn’t need to be so.


The language of flowers       
author:  Vanessa Diffenbaugh
finished:  June 12     
9 Really Liked

I think I really loved this book. I loved the information about flowers. The story is about the foster care system. A young girl is in the system and ages out. She chooses to become homeless; she finds a job with a florist. Working with flowers is the thing she loves most. She rediscovers a boy, friend, and they help each other heal. The part I did not relate to was she had a baby and had a very hard time adjusting to her baby. Maybe that’s what “no parenting” does for you.



The year of wonders          
author:  Geraldine Brooks               
finished:  June 12      
9 Really Liked

This was VERY good too! About the black plague in the 1600’s. The town decides to cut itself off from the rest of the area so they won’t spread the sickness. The town is mostly puritan. Their preacher is everything to them. The last 35 pages is where suddenly the story takes an unbelieveable turn. The rest of the book did not go with the last part; that was my only problem. I WOULD recommend this book though.



Insurgent                          
author:  Veronica Roth           
finished:   June 12 
Young Adult     
9 Really Liked

2nd in a series. First is Divergent. It was a good “next” part of the story. A war starts in this America. They discover that there is more outside the “fence”. The end of the story is: I am Edith Pryor.



The Cat’s Table                 
author:  Michael Ondaatje      
finished:   June 12     
DNF

This was supposed to be so good. It just went no where for me. A young boy is sent on a ship across the ocean. It is a 21 day voyage. The table he is assigned to sit is called the Cat’s Table because it holds all the misfits. There just did not seem to be a story. It went no where. I was not enjoying it. I read pass the 100 page mark.

Cry, The Beloved Country   
author:  alan Paton                
finished:  June 12     
DNF

A recommendation from a friend. Her book group read it. I don’t think she loved it, but wanted me to read it. I REALLY tried. I read past page 100. It just did not keep me. I got to where I did not enjoy my reading. I had to move onto a book that really grabbed me. This book is about South America and Apartied.



Before I go to Sleep            
author:  S.J. Watson                       
finished:  June 12     
10 LOVED

Every morning, the woman (Christina) wakes up and has no idea who she is! The man she sleeps with tells her he is her husband, they have been married for many years. She may ask questions, learn some things about her life. She goes to sleep and she wakes up the next morning not remembering anything! Shocking. Very good.

This book really got me to thinking about what I would write. I have mostly stopped blogging; I feel like my life has turned into "same old thing". What different was there to write about. But Christine cherished every little thing she did every day and loved to read what she did the day before. Maybe what I do is not boring, but I shows what mothers do day in and day out. It doesn't have to be boring, ugly  or frustrating. It is satisfing knowing I have satisfied my family, and yes, myself too. There; I have now updates some blogs!! Thanks S.J. Watson.

No comments: