Monday, March 9, 2009

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet


Hotel on the corner of Bitter and Sweet
by: Jamie Ford
Very Interesting!
This book is set during WWII - it is about a Chinese boy that meets a Japanese girl just before all the Japanese people were taken and put in Relocation Camps. They are 12 and 13 years old. They learn so much about life and fairness, cultures.
This book jumps back and forth between 1942 and 1986 - you see what happened and what is currently happening in the current time of the book.
The setting is in Seattle Washington and the Japanese are relocated to Idaho.
The book is fiction, but is very much about real events. I really enjoyed learning about this event. I believe my mother lived right across the street from a Japanese relocation camp! Please tell us more stories!
What a hard time in US history. We do you do, stand by, watch, be active, stand against? Questions we all need to have ready.

2 comments:

Number One Novels said...

I had the opportunity to interview Jamie Ford on my blog. You might find it interesting. Unfortunately, I haven't had an opportunity to read this novel yet.

Nana said...

Because I was 9 yrs old I sort of really couldn't remember what people were working across the street with guards with guns watching them. But my sister, Bonnie, corrected me about 5 years ago, that the people across working in the field were prisoners of war! I guess german soldiersj! Uncle Floyd, Janet's husband, also remembers how they worked in the fields around his house in orem! He was just young, as well, and says it scared him very much especially when a guard layed his gun down next to a fence post. And, by the way, I just read Chase's letter. I had to laugh when he wrote about the old couple in their 70's who were working in the mission office and were rather slow. I can totally relate! That is exactly why I don't go with Dad to the Family History to serve a mission. All those missionaries are too old and slow!!