Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Double Bind


The Double Bind
by: Chris Bohjalian

Ok, this book was written by the same author as Midwives. A few books down - Body Surfing- that author wrote The Pilot's Wife. I wrote in the Body Surfing review that that author wrote Midwives...mistake.

The end of the review: It was a GREAT book. Quite an ending. I HAD to come and do some research about the book when I had finished. It was amazing, shocking.

The hard part about this book is about the first 100 pages. I liked the very beginning. Then it got confusing, hard to remember about the characters, like the characters. In fact, I was so frustrated and the work in reading that I picked up Baby Proof, during the reading of this book. When I finished Baby Proof, I felt a bit bad about this book, and tried again. I read another night and that was all it took, I was VERY hooked. I got it. If you don't mind a hard start, read this book, then, please, Let's Talk!!

This is a psychological mystery.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

okay, i just finished it ... and i was blindsided !! i actually was slogging through Jane Smiley's "Ten Days in the Hills" - which I finally gave up on and picked up "The Double Bind."

I always thought the scenes of the two young girls were sort of ... dreamy. So much detail for a young girl to notice and comment on, no matter how precocious.

And I thought I was pretty psychologically savvy ... I mean, I even read 'the letter' and thought - wow, how cruel for this guy to make up this horrible story - another invasion of this poor girl. (I'm deliberately trying to be vague here, in case anyone has NOT read this novel.)

So the final pages really, REALLY got me ... and I cried. It made me cry ...


lady blue