Friday, October 31, 2008

The Alibi


The Alibi
By Sandra Brown

Sandra Brown is one of my favorite authors. She started out writing historical romance novels, but grew into contemporary mystery/romance. She does a great job of building suspense and creating interesting plot twists. Of course, there is still the romance part. I'd say the plot is about 80% mystery and about 20% romance.

This story is told from multiple points of view, which was slightly confusing at first, but I really enjoyed it by the end. Assistant DA (County Solicitor in South Carolina) Hammond Cross finds himself deeply involved in the murder of a local bigwig. His personal and professional integrity is stretched to the breaking point. The woman is a psychiatrist, and the main suspect in the murder. There are three or four different subplots going on, lots of characterization which I love. The author does a fantastic job of capturing the culture of South.

There are several passages of graphic "romance novel" sex. I tend to just skip over those parts, but be forewarned. I really enjoyed this book.

1 comment:

Julie/mom said...

I don't think I have ever read a Sandra Brown novel. I will give this one a try.