Friday, October 31, 2008

Swallows of Kabul


Swallows of Kabul
by: Yasmina Khadra

I found this book in the library in the "New" section. I judged the book by it's cover, thought it looked interesting, so I got it.

I enjoyed it. It was not a happy, go lucky book. It was a bit intense, but what a look inside of Afghanistan! It is a good look, only if the author was authentic and who would know that! This about life in Afghanistan with the Taliban ruling. It was not a pleasant place, nor are they teaching anything to brag about. I enjoyed the learning and by that the thankfulness that I feel waking up in my bed in America with all those rights and freedoms that we have. Let's not waste them.

Read this book for the learning experience. It is a quick read. It is mainly about 2 families and how they are dealing with their difficult lives. You learn about the men and you learn about their wives. You learn of their ideas of love, marriage, sacrifice, religion. I found it interesting.

No comments: