Thursday, October 23, 2008

Undiscovered Country


Undiscovered Country
by: Lin Enger
I just found this book, no recommendation. Then I read the back: "Unaware that his life is about to change in ways he can't imagine, seventeen-year-old Jesse Matson ventures into the northern Minnesota woods with his father on a cold November afternoon....a muffled crack of a gunshot rings out...he races through the trees to find his dad dead of a rifle wound, apparently self-inflicted."
That really intrigued me! Why? It is kind of dark and mysterious, but I figured I would try it. And....I REALLY enjoyed it. The writing was great; a different style. The author never used quotation marks! It is written in first person, from Jesse's perspective. It seems like it would be a dark and sad tale, but to me it was an intriguing mystery. I enjoyed being inside that 17 year old's head.
It was a good mystery, written well. The author tells a good story, interesting characters.

No comments: